Most of the files on the internet, from email attachments to bunch of movies are provided in a ZIP format. Zipping is a widely used file management technique in which a large number of files are compressed and packed into a single archive. It makes data transfer easier and efficient, while featuring good security to all your files and personal docs. Well, several tools are out there for Windows with which you can unzip these ZIP files to access the original files and data.
Amongst all, ‘7-Zip’ is a widely used and popular zip extractor tool. It is one of the excellent file archive utility, which comes with tons of helpful features. In this article, we will be discussing about significant features of 7-zip, a useful application for you.
7-Zip – A Fully Featured Tool for Windows
Along with zipping and unzipping, 7-Zip benefits you in several ways. It is absolutely free to download, and supports plenty of formats such as 7z, ZIP, GZIP, RAR, MSI, RPM, CAB, ISO, DMG, WIM, VHD, TAR and so on. The software uses 7z, an extremely high compression ZIP format, as its default. Similar zip and rar file creator is WinRar, which can also be described as a full archive tool for Windows PCs as well as Mac computers.
It is so flexible and compatible with almost all of the Windows operating systems, including Windows 98, 2000, NT, ME, Win XP, Vista, Win 7 and the latest Win 8. Additionally, the developers have successfully ported its command line for UNIX and Linux based operating systems.
What Makes 7-Zip So Powerful Than Others –
- Top file compression ratio in LZMA2 and LZMA compression
- For GZIP and ZIP formats, it uses great compression ratio, which is about 2-10 % more than the other tools like WinZip and PKZip
- For packing and unpacking, it supports – XZ, 7z, GZIP, BZIP2, ZIP, TAR and WIM
- For only unpacking, it supports – CAB, ARJ, CPIO, CHM, DEB, CramFS, FAT, DMG, ISO, HFS, LZMA, LZH, MBR, NSIS, MSI, RAR, NTFS, SquashFS, RPM, VHD, UDF, XAR, WIM and Z
- Uses a strong AES-256 encryption for ZIP and 7z formats
- Self-extracting feature for 7z format
- Easily integrates with Windows Shell (context menu)
- Potent File Manager
- Competent command line version
- Plug-ins available for FAR Manager
- Come in 79 languages
Where It Excels
The 7-Zip excels in the minimalism and simplicity. It is faster than other tools in competition. It simply opens all your files just within a blink of your eye, and enables you extract your data anywhere you want. It also enables you to compress your files in 7z right through the Windows context menu. The encryption program is strong enough and the command-line function is pretty cool if you have to compress large files and use them across different platforms. It is a lightweight utility tool, which does not consume much space of your hard drive.
7-Zip is available to download for bothWindows 32 bit and 64 bit OS. You can simply get online and Google to download its latest version. If you’re just searching for a best file archive tool, 7-Zip is your best choice.